9.23.2008

BFFs

School nurse on the phone for the third time in three weeks: Hello? Mrs. Peanut's mom?
Me: Yes?
Nurse: Hi, this is the nurse from Peanut's school. You don't need to come get him this time, but I just wanted to let you know I have Peanut in my office. He says he threw up.
Me: Does he have the flu?
Nurse: Well, he seems to be fine, and nobody actually saw him do it, but I just wanted to let you know, he says he went in the bathroom and threw up.
Me: But he doesn't seem sick?
Nurse: No. Like I said, nobody really saw him throw up.
Me, lightbulb clicking on: Was he eating lunch?
Nurse: Yes, it was at lunch time.
Me: I'm pretty sure he probably did throw up then. But he's not sick.
Nurse: Oh?
Me: He makes himself vomit.
Nurse: Pardon me?
Me: It's just this thing he does.
Nurse: What do you mean?
Me: When he eats a meal and he decides he doesn't like it anymore he makes himself throw up. He'll eat everything except the last bite and then decide it's disgusting. Then he gags until he throws up.
Nurse: He makes himself throw up?
Me: Yes. If he doesn't want to eat something, he will gag himself until he vomits. It's not uncommon for him to throw up on the dinner table.
Nurse: Are you doing something about this?
Me: We're ignoring it in hopes that it will go away.
Nurse: Oh. Hm. Well, I guess this is a good thing for me to know about him.
Me: Add it to the list. You two are going to be spending a lot of time together.

No comments: