9.23.2008

Shazaam!

KaSnap! is never a good noise, especially as it pertains to children. KaSnap! is the sound of someone breaking something important, like fine china, or their femur. Apparently, it's also the sound of an Epi-Pen.

Me: Moon, come on, get your guitar, I have to get you to class.
Moon, never looking up from Gameboy: K.
Me: Seriously. Moon, Peanut, come on, let's go.

KASNAP!

Peanut: OWWWWWWW! OWWWWWWW! OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
Me, running into kitchen: What happened? Are you okay?
Peanut: OWWWWWW! OWWHOWHOWHOWWWW!
Me, taking in the scene: Son of a Bitch! Everyone, shoes, we're going to the ER!
Peanut: NO! NO! NO! It doesn't hurt. OWHOWHOWHOW! I don't need to go.

After everyone is rushed into the car, shoeless, I consider sitting in the ER by myself with three children and decide to call the pediatrician to make sure we need to go. While waiting on hold for an answer from the nurse:

Me: Did it go all the way into your hand?
Peanut: No. It didn't get me at all.
Me: Then why are you screaming?
Peanut: It just scared me. OWWW! ow. I'm fine.
Me: Why is there blood on your hand?
Peanut: owie. It's just from a mosquito that bit me last night.
Me: Peanut, I can see the hole in your hand where the needle went in.
Peanut: Mosquito bite.

At this point, the dr. tells us that an ER trip is probably not necessary, but I should watch him closely for any unusual symptoms. So now, I'm sitting on the couch across from him, wondering if falling into an immediate and deep sleep qualifies as an "unusual" symptom. And I'm wondering if it is "unusual" how I'm going to get a sleeping baby and a sleeping toddler to the ER by myself. And finally, I'm thinking of writing to the makers of Epi-Pen and asking if they would consider manufacturing a version that, when injected, makes a less frightening noise like, "ah-choo," or "shazaam."

No comments: