5.20.2008

The depth of his grief

I was moved by the depth of his grief. He didn't actually realize that Fluffy was dead until his brother asked if she needed her medicine, but when I broke the news, he was stricken. He had to check all corners of the cage to make sure that his guinea pig was really gone, and then his poor little body crumpled on the couch. The kid was devastated. He sobbed for nearly half an hour, lamenting the loss of his beloved pet. I cried along with him, hating to see my son in pain, hoping he would be able to get over it someday.

Tonight, he broke a plastic cup. It was the biggest plastic cup we own. And it was red. His little body crumpled on the couch. He wiped his tears (and his snotty nose) on my shirt in between cries of, "I really miss that cup," and "now we can never get another one." He sobbed for nearly half an hour, lamenting the loss of his beloved big red plastic cup.

I was impressed by the depth of his grief.

RIP, Fluff.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Christy Brewer said...

Oh no!!! Our guinea pig is the same type as Fluff, just different colors... the cutest pink ear *ever*.

Unfortunately, Patrick (even though she's a girl) is probably sick. I know nothing of guinea pigs, but I can tell that she just can't hop around anymore. Her rear leg splays something weird.

So, we'll be facing the death of the first pet this family has had. (I don't count the fish that died after just a few days or few weeks!) This is the first cuddly non-human creature ever to be let inside the house.

Yes, we'll be living through broken red plastic cups soon, too. Thanks for reminding me that *they* will be sad, too. And that it's healthy for them to experience this.

christy